Thursday, July 18, 2013

Troy Hicks

The suggestions that Troy Hicks mentioned in Crafting Digital Writing will be extremely useful when I try to incorporate more digital writing into my lessons.  Troy Hicks reports that the most important factor and strategy when trying to improve students' writing is the fact that teachers should model by writing when he or she asks the students to write.  He mentions that the teacher should "think out loud while writing--in front of the class" (Hicks 8).  When I did my student teaching in a fourth grade classroom I learned early on that I should be writing while my students write.  In the past I have made an attempt to do that, but lately I have made no effort to write with them, which is unfortunate on my part.  Although this is not an excuse, I seem to get bogged down with classroom logistics and everyday mundane tasks such as; taking attendance, getting handouts together, setting up technology (as needed), answering the phone, and responding to questions my students ask, etc.  Now that I realize that research shows that this is one of the single most important predictors of improving student's writing I will definitely make a conscious effort  to write with my students everyday whether on traditional paper and pencil or digital writing.  I especially enjoyed reading about how several national writing organizations, including the National Writing Project also emphasize that importance of developing eight "habits of mind" to prepare students for post secondary schooling and the 21st century workplace.  The following "habits of mind" attributes help students to attain college and career readiness whether they are writing with pen and paper or digital texts; curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and meta-cognition.  I also like the idea about my students creating and designing their own web page for the class.  This web page could be designed so that the teacher can post assignments, important messages, send reminders for due dates, etc.  This could also be useful for opening up the communication between the teacher, parent(s), and students (home and school).  After reading about several student examples regarding multi-genre projects I now want to incorporate this into my classroom.  This will be a fun and creative way for my students to do research, which is something they often struggle with.  I like this because students are doing research using mentor, web and/or media texts, and other various research and resources.  Students can also be creative by adding video clips, pictures, clip art, and hyperlinks to enhance their digital writing.

Here is a You Tube video about about teaching and learning in the 21st century that I think is worth watching. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-ZVCjfWf8

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen,
    I like your response. Yes, very often we classroom tachers get caught up in all the "stuff" we have to do we forget why we are really there. I do the same. Although it is great to let kids figure things out on their own at times, I think modiling is one of the most effective strategies a teacher can do. Also, as a teacher, as we do what we ask them to do, we may realize ourselves how difficult it may be form them.
    I also think Hicks is trying to emphasize the fact that the internet is full of digital writing models. Most students, and many teachers, do not take advantage of this, or may not even understand the value in showing these sites to their studetns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana,
    This is all new to me so I am not sure how I can find your Troy Hick's blog as well as Nicole's so I can respond to both of your posts?

    Any help would be greatly appreciates!
    Kristen Spardello

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,

    I enjoyed reading your response to the reading. I like that you reflected upon your student teaching as well as your current classroom set up. I love the idea that you would like to have your students set up a web page. In the long run, with a class page set up, it might alleviate some of the more mundane classroom tasks such as writing homework on the board, daily notes, etc, as it will now become part of your learning and teaching experiences.
    I completely agree with the "Eight Habits of Mind" and feel that those are accessible principles for students of all abilities.

    I look forward to discussing more of the text in class!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I have a book on Multi-genre research projects that I will bring in tomorrow. Also, I tinkered with "Weebly" an application that helps create websites. Check it out and it is free. We can play with it at some point during the institute ... remind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madonna,
      Sounds great, I would love to check out your book on Multi-genre research projects. I can't wait to check out "Weebly" as well!

      Thanks,

      Kristem

      Delete
  5. Kristen, I like how you focus on the 8 Habits of Mind for success in school and beyond: curiosity, openness, engagement, creativity, persistence, responsibility, flexibility, and meta-cognition. Notice how these 8 habits are not necessarily tied to the Common Core or to PARCC! How does a one-shot deal standardized test teach our students "persistence?" How do strict standards and performance outcomes encourage "curiosity" in our students? How do common task assessments ask our students to be "creative" and "open?" I would argue that they don't. So, it is up to us, the classroom teachers, to infuse these habits of mind into our daily classroom practice. Even if the principal doesn't recognize these qualities, WE DO! Thanks for a good post and response to the reading.

    ReplyDelete